Kiama Region Who's Who
Distinguished and Famous people from Kiama Region
The Kiama Region in New South Wales, Australia, has been home to several distinguished and famous individuals. Let's explore some notable figures who were born in this region or are associated with it:
Famous Individuals from Kiama Region:
- Simone Whetton: Born in Kiama, Simone Whetton is an accomplished artist and sculptor known for her stunning metalworks inspired by nature.
- Paul Mercurio: Born in Wollongong, a neighboring city, Paul Mercurio grew up in the Kiama region. He is a renowned Australian actor and has appeared in numerous films and television shows including the award-winning movie "Strictly Ballroom."
- John Walter Gregory: Born in Kiama, John Walter Gregory was a distinguished geologist and explorer. He conducted important geological surveys in various parts of the world, including Africa and Asia, and made significant contributions to the field of geology.
- Peter George: Born in Kiama, Peter George is a former professional rugby league football player. He played for the St. George Dragons and represented Australia in several international matches.
- Eliza McCartney: Although not born in Kiama itself, Eliza McCartney hails from the Kiama Region. She is a talented New Zealand pole vaulter who won a bronze medal at the 2016 Rio Olympics.
- Jason Brown: Born in Gerringong, a town within the Kiama Region, Jason Brown is a former professional Australian rules footballer who played for the Sydney Swans in the Australian Football League (AFL).
- Harry Glicken: Born in Kiama, Harry Glicken was a volcanologist renowned for his extensive research on volcanic hazards. He tragically lost his life during a field study of the Mount Unzen eruption in Japan in 1991.
- Martin Shipton: Martin Shipton, born in Kiama, is a prominent Australian investigative journalist known for his in-depth reporting and analysis on various social, political, and environmental issues.
- Judy Cassab: Although not born in Kiama, Judy Cassab lived there for a significant part of her life and developed her artistic skills. She was an acclaimed Australian portrait painter and the first woman to win the Archibald Prize twice.
- Shannon Eckstein: Born in Gerringong, Shannon Eckstein is a highly regarded Australian surf lifesaver and Ironman athlete. He is considered one of the most successful competitors in the sport's history.
- Katie Bell: Born in Kiama, Katie Bell is an accomplished actress and model known for her notable roles in various Australian television shows and films.
- Iain Hewitson: Born in Kiama, Iain Hewitson is a renowned Australian chef, restaurateur, and television personality. He hosted the popular cooking show " Huey's Kitchen," which introduced many innovative recipes to the audience.
This list represents just a fraction of the talented individuals associated with the Kiama Region. It is a testament to the rich cultural and artistic heritage of the area, as well as the contribution of its people to various fields of endeavor.